Skip to main content

Changes in Matter {{freebie}}

I LOVE it when we can make a lesson hands on and we get to eat.  Yea, I realize eating doesn't happen with too many lessons in the classroom but it does happen when we start exploring the changes of matter when you apply heat.

I'm pretty sure the kids LOVE it as much as I do.  So I try to get as many different ways to EAT, I mean explore changes in matter as I can.  

A few years ago I had some wonderful parents buy me an air popcorn popper.  It is the best thing to watch the kids faces as they wait patiently to see  what is going to happen to the popcorn kernels.  There is always a lot of giggling and squealing.

During this unit we will use chocolate, apples, and popcorn-just not at the same time.  As little scientists they spend time exploring properties of the kernel before and after.  They will explore and record the properties of an apple then I always let them cut up their apples with a buddy and place them in a crockpot.  

On this day, I mentally prepare and fill up my patience tank because it is a lot of work BUT so rewarding to watch their faces and listen to their excitement.  A lot of kids are not involved in cooking at home so this is a fantastic experience for them and that is why I want them doing the preparation rather than myself -(because that is so much easier). 



You can stop by tpt to pick up this small little unit I use as we explore the changes in matter.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, America! {{GIVEAWAY & FREEBIES}}

Happy Birthday, AMERICA!! Our plan is to swim in the lake, grill hamburgers, watch fireworks, and ride bikes.  ALL American, right?!!  I'm sure we'll have lots of pictures soon. In the meantime I've been sewing away and getting things together for Monday Made It and America's Birthday! S top by Fourth Grade Frolics to see what other teach ers have been up to.   Nothing too exciting...unless dressing up your coffee makes you giddy!!   Now that is one good-looking coffee... I think they would make cozy cute gifts. Wouldn't you LOVE the chance to win one for you and a friend ? If you win you can choose your favorite colors or your school color s. Just enter below and I will anno unce and email the winner Wed nesday. a Rafflecopter giveaway Now I think it's only fair to share the FAIL S that we have as we are learning.  If you can't laugh at yourself then........you're probably NO FUN to be around. I thought the anchors ...

First Linky!!! Monday Made It.....

Well, this is my. very. first. linky. linkup. (GASP!)  It took my friend Michelle  to explain this to me.  really?! .......I was just kinda afraid I'd mess something up. BUT now that I've explained that this is my first time, I'm sure y'all will be forgiving.  right?  Obviously, I have been busy crafting but nothing for my classroom (soon....very soon, I will) so I thought, what a perfect linky to begin with.  I'm linking up with  Tara at 4th Grade Frolic This little craft is bitter sweet.  My lil' sass and I transformed her Disney Princess toy box (once again, i feel the need to explain our floor renovations....please excuse our mess) into a big girl storage chest.  A friend bought me some contact paper from TJ Max and that is what I used to cover the lid.  She LOVES it!   Okay in other news, our swimming pool motor blew up (smoke and all) on the very first Saturday we were out of school.  Geeezz!!--and it took...

Behavior that Makes Cents!

I've decided for this next school year to implement $$ into my behavior clip chart.  Our school has certain colors and points that they want us to use and deduct from each child's conduct grade based on the child's color/conduct clip.  So each year I jazz up my color chart BUT this year I'm implementing Coins.......get it???!!!  Behavior that Makes Cents!!  Okay.......this is how it will work in my classroom.  Each day the students will stamp their behavior calendar with a coin stamp based on our color chart.  For example, black will be used for a quarter because black is considered exceptional behavior throughout the day. They will use a green stamp for dimes, yellow stamp for nickels, and a red stamp for a penny.  Although, I rarely have color changes, I truly feel like this will motivate them to not only KNOW their coins but be able to add them up.  They will NEED to know how much they have in order to spend their money on Friday.   ...